Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I Am Still that Man..


Tonight my spouse proclaimed – ‘You haven’t cleaned the bathroom in 44 years – of which I responded – I’m quite humble about these things and go about without fanfare – no need to brag!

Look, I am man – I only see things in my limited field of vision. The bathroom is totally out of focus – I barely see the carpet in my office which at times looks as if the living dead come there to hibernate.

I see my computer, my Smartphone clearly – my iPad through a glaze of greasy fingerprints. I see my piano like my eyesight was 50/50 – I never miss. My rack of movies from a distance is an Adam and Eve garden of delights in fact ‘No Country for Old Men’ and ‘There Will Be Blood’ sit there like gargoyles guarding voyeur perimeter. 

I have never missed target hitting the recliner spot on. I don’t complain about a thing – in fact, I’ve forgotten how to complain. I’m easy around the house. I bring you coffee in the morning, listen to your compelling news mash ups. I rarely believe you when you say the weather tomorrow will be catastrophic; I will in all likelyhood engage without warning - maybe one day to my peril.

You can try and rearrange me but no matter which parts you reassemble I will still come out oblong. I am man – garden variety – you can purchase at Home Hardware.

Forty years ago I would have ran alongside a train to just impress I’m the fastest, wrestled a land shark, beat the snot out of ten would be assailants, starred a serial killer into cuffing himself but tonight I just want to wish the pain in my right leg away. Christ sake – it’s been throbbing two weeks.

Tomorrow I will rise and let the dogs out and you will sleep. I will read the paper and you will sleep. When you rise I will have a big smile reserved for you and you will settle into the recliner warmed like angels placed soft coals underneath. All of this my love, ‘Cause I’m still, your man!

No comments:

Post a Comment